User Tools

Site Tools


Sidebar

FOLLOW EX LIBRIS ON FACEBOOK AND LINKEDIN


Quick Links

Monday, Nov. 7th, 2016 Annual Meeting

Biographies of Librarians & Information Professionals

2015 W. Kaye Lamb award winners

Spring 2016 Newsletter


The Ex Libris logo designed by Leslie Smart and Associates uses a woodcut created for L. Bruce Pierce, a former editor of Ryerson Press, who has permitted its use for our logo. The pine tree bent to the wind and the geese flying south are found in all parts of Canada.


history:chronologies:mcgill_university

McGill University Graduate School of Library and Information Studies

By Peter McNally

Notable Events

1897-1904
An apprenticeship-training program was provided in Redpath Library.
1904
The School began - under the jurisdiction of the University Library Committee - as the first formal library education program in Canada, and one of the first university programs in librarianship outside the United States.
1904-1942
With certain breaks, particularly during World War I, an annual summer course was given.
1927
The summer course was accredited under the American Library Association`s Minimum Standards for Summer Courses in Library Science Type IV (1926)
1927-1930
With the aid of a grant from the Carnegie Corporation a sessional Diploma program began. The entrance requirement was senior matriculation.
1929
The Diploma program was accredited under the American Library Association`s Minimum Standards for Library Schools, junior undergraduate category, (1925).
1930-1965
The Diploma program was transformed into a sessional, graduate Bachelor of Library Science program, the first in Canada, with the entrance requirement being a Bachelor's degree.
1931
The BLS program was accredited under the American Library Association`s Graduate School Category (1925).
1934The BLS program was accredited under the American Library Association`s Minimum Requirements for Library Schools (1933) in its Type II category.
1956-1965A Master of Library Science degree with thesis under the jurisdiction of the Faculty of Graduate Studies and Research was offered with the Bachelor of Library Science as pre-requisite.
1957The BLS program was accredited under the American Library Association`s Standards of Accreditation (1951).
1965A two year Master of Library Science program without thesis replaced the one year BLS and the thesis MLS. This program provided a new pattern for library education - one which has become the Canadian norm and has been adopted by many schools in the United States and other countries. The School changed its name to the Graduate School of Library Science and was placed entirely under the jurisdiction of the Faculty of Graduate Studies and Research.
1975The MLS program was accredited under the American Library Association's Standards of Accreditation (1972).
1980The MLS program received conditional accreditation for two years under the American Library Association's Standards of Accreditation (1972).
1981The MLS program was restored to full accreditation through 1987.
1985The name of the School was changed to Graduate School of Library and Information Studies.
1986The master's degree was changed to Master of Library and Information Studies.
1987The MLIS program was accredited under the American Library Association's Standards of Accreditation (1972).
1991A PhD program was introduced, under the ad hoc provisions of the Faculty of Graduate Studies and Research.
1994Closing of the Library and Information Studies Library.
1996A post-master's Graduate Diploma in Library and Information Studies was introduced.
1996The School became a unit under the jurisdiction of the Faculty of Education.
1998The “CN-Pratt-Grinstad Chair in Library and Information Studies” was established as the first named chair in Library and Information Studies in Canada, with Professor J. Andrew Large as the first incumbent.
2001A post-master's Graduate Certificate in Library and Information Studies was introduced.
2003The MLIS program was accredited under the American Library Association's Standards of Accreditation (1992).
2004Celebration of the Centenary of the School, and Canadian Library Education
2005Introduction of MLIS Specializations in: (i) Archival Studies, (ii) Knowledge Management, and (iii) Librarianship

Directors

1904-1919
Charles H. Gould, BA (McGill) University Librarian
1920-1948
Gerhard Lomer, BA, MA (McGill) PhD (Columbia) University Librarian
*1948-1949
Richard Pennington, BA (Birmingham) Dip Lib (London) University Librarian
1949-1966
Vernon Ross, BA, MA (McGill) BS in LS (Columbia)
1966-1970
Virginia E. Murray, BA, BLS (McGill) MA, EdD (Columbia)
1970-1972
Violet Coughlin, BSc, BLS (McGill) MA, DLS (Columbia)
1972-1976
Effie C. Astbury, BA, BLS (McGill) MLS (Toronto)
1976-1981
Vivian S. Sessions, AB, MA (Michigan) MS in LS (Columbia)
1981-1984Hans Möller, PhD (Copenhagen)
1984-1989Helen Howard, BA (Queen`s) BLS, MLS (McGill) PhD (Rutgers)
1989-1998J. Andrew Large, BSc (London) PhD (Glasgow) Dip Lib (London)
*1996-1997Diane Mittermeyer, BA, BLS (Montréal) MLS, PhD (Toronto)
1998-2004Jamshid Beheshti, BA (Simon Fraser) MLS, PhD (Western Ontario)
*2000-2001Peter F. McNally, BA (Western Ontario) BLS, MLS, MA (McGill)
2004-France Bouthillier, BEd (UQAM) MBSI (Montréal) PhD (Toronto)

* Acting Directors

Quarters since 1927

1927-1953
Redpath Library, basement
1953-1966
Redpath Library, top floor
1966-1969
Hallward Mansion, North-east corner, McGregor/Penfield Ave. and Mountain St.
1969-
McLennan Library, street level

URL: gslis.mcgill.ca

history/chronologies/mcgill_university.txt · Last modified: 2015/05/09 22:35 by admin